Disclosure and Barring Service Checks
As part of our screening and background checks, and to give our Clients peace of mind, we will ask you for an up-to-date DBS Disclosure Certificate to demonstrate you have a clear UK police record.
We will accept an Enhanced DBS Disclosure with Barred List Check dated within 12 months of its issue, however, most of our Imperial clients are now seeking more up-to-date information. For Disclosures older than 12 months, we can assist you with your application for a more up-to-date Disclosure.
What is a DBS Disclosure?
The DBS Disclosure is a certificate which shows whether or not you have a criminal record. The Certificate is issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service which is a Home Office Agency dedicated solely to checking criminal records. This has replaced the former checking service known as the CRB (Criminal Records Bureau).
How can I apply for a DBS?
We make it our mission to ensure your application goes as smoothly as possible. With direct links to a DBS Agency, we run an extremely efficient service to cut down waiting times for DBS certificates. When you visit Imperial Nannies & Governesses, we will ask you to bring official identification in the form of your Passport and Driving Licence. If you wish to apply before attending the Agency interview, we will request that you send your ID by Special Delivery which will be sent back by the same method.
What information will I need for the on-line application?
You will need your Passport as you will be asked to enter your current passport details such as the issue date, your date of birth and your nationality.
Which DBS do I have to apply for?
As you will be working in a childcare role, the Enhanced Level with barred lists check is the correct level for your chosen career.
How much does it cost?
The charge for the Enhanced DBS is £55.00 which when broken down is £40.00 for the DBS, £12 Adminsitration Fee to the DBS Agency and £3 for paying by card). Imperial Nannies do not receive any fees for you application.
How long is the DBS Certificate valid for?
The DBS Disclosure gives information held on the police database up to and including the date the Disclosure was issued. For this reason we are recommending to our candidates that they subscribe to the Update Service for £18 (£13 per annum plus £5.00 Admin Fee) so that they can give any potential employer up-to-date information at all times.
How do I subscribe to the Update Service?
You will be pleased to know that you can select the Update Service at the same time when completing your initial DBS application. Look out for the tick box! This ensures your record is up-to-date and should you wish to give any potential employer access, you will be able to do so without delay.
What will the Certificate show?
The result of the application will show if you have a police record or not and if you do, it will show any spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings as well as confirm if you are on the list of people barred from working with children.
If I have been based overseas, are you still able to access the relevant overseas police records?
We are able to obtain information pertaining to overseas police records held on official databases for candidates who have worked overseas or who are from an overseas country. If this applies to you, kindly inform us once we have confirmed after receiving your CV that we wish to invite you to an Agency interview. We will assist you with the process and ensure we obtain the correct background check for you.
What’s the process for applying for the DBS?
- Firstly, we shall need to look at your original documentation to check your identification. We will accept either a current Passport or both parts of your Driving Licence.
- Then we shall note the following details to create your individual DBS application: your Title, First Name, Middle Names, Surname, Gender, Date of Birth, Email Address and a Mobile/lLandline Number.
- A link will be emailed to you showing your User Name and Password for you to log in and apply. The application can be completed once only so please ensure you have your documentation with you and details of all your addresses from the past 5 years to hand before you begin. Any errors on the form will delay your application and may lead to your application being cancelled.
- Once you submit your application, we will be asked to do a final check to validate your details.
- You will be then be asked to pay which you can do by debit/credit card or by PayPal.
- Once your payment is confirmed, your application is processed which can take between 2 weeks to 2 months and largely depends on the number of addresses you list and whether or not you have previously had a DBS Check.
- The DBS Certificate will be sent to you at your current address so do look out for it. Do also contact your dedicated Consultant to confirm its receipt and she will update your files.
If you have any queries regarding the above, do please telephone us on 020 7 795 6299 or ping us an email at email@example.com so that we can assist you.
We look forward to welcoming you to Imperial Nannies